EMPLOYMENT LINKS FOR THE BIOMEDICAL SCIENTIST
These are often trying times for Ph.D's searching for suitable employment, a problem that is not confined to the biomedical sciences or to the United States. The internet offers a particularly useful medium for exchange of employment-related information. However, sifting through this large and ever-increasing volume of information can be a time-consuming task for the job-seeker with specialized career options. This set of links is being compiled by a fellow scientist to assist colleagues in the biomedical and other sciences who may be exploring the internet for on-line employment information.
Advertized Online Scientific Job Openings
- - Positions advertized in Science from .
- - Positions advertized in Nature.
- - From the If the positions link has expired go to positions available in the .
- - Positions advertized in Cell, Neuron and Immunity.
- - American Association of Clinical Chemistry employment page, including an on-line resume posting service. Must register and use password for access.
- - International Society of Heart Research Employment Service.
- - Newly improved and updated from the Chronicle of Higher education, a comprehensive career service - must register.
- - Local and some international academic postings from the a weekly publication for academics from the UK.
- - Academic positions in the US.
- - Jobs in academia with a search engine to refine your search.
- - Job listings from posted biweekly.
- - Job openings in Academia from .
- - A resource from the World wide Club for the Biological and Medical Community. Can view a wide selection of jobs or post a job wanted notice and resume and much more. Must register (free) to join.
- - A periodically updated list of job openings mainly for post-docs from the UCSF.
- Academic Positions - A page of links to positions available advertised in university and other academic center homepages.
- - A site for resume posting and jobsearching for scientists. Must register and be assigned an ID and password to use, which is a bit of a pain (since from my experience these tend to get forgotten).
- SciWeb and Job Listings - Positions advertized through , a site that also features a resume posting service, links to other career sites and a career discussion board.
- - A list of links to positions advertized at Pharmaceutical/Biotech Industry home pages.
- An extensive searchable biomedical engineering employment database from . Site also allows resume posting.
- - A resource from Biotechnology Today, the Web's daily Biotechnology News and Jobs Source.
- - A website connecting job seekers to the global life sciences job market, particularly in the pharmaceutical industry, but also in academic and non-profit organizations worldwide.
- - A resource from for employment in Genomics, Bioinformatics, Biotechnology and Computers. with listings in Industry and Academia.
- - A listing of positions open for job-seekers with background in clinical research in the pharmaceutical, biotechnology, medical devices, diagnostics, and other related industries.
- - A monthly newsgroup archive of positions open in the biological sciences maintained by a set of electronic communications forums used by biological scientists throughout the world.
- - Employment opportunities at the NIH, the worlds largest biomedical research center situated in Bethesda, Maryland, USA.
- - Research and training opportunities at the National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland, USA.
- - Postings from the American Physiological Society.
- - Positions posted by the American Society of Histocompatibility and Immunogenetics.
- - Positions in Academia - Australia, South Africa, New Zealand, the Pacific.
- - From the Campus review, Australasia's higher education newspaper. Details academic positions in Australia, New Zealand and Hongkong.
- - A service from Australia started in December 1995.
- - Science and technology positions in Austrialia.
- - Job openings in Australia, New Zealand, Hong Kong, Africa, the Caribbean and Pacific.
- - A listing of academic positions in Canada from the Association of Universities and Colleges.
- - Positions available from the Medical Research Council of Canada.
- - Job listings, mainly for Canada, from the Division of Experimental Medicine, McGill University.
- - A listing of academic/biomedical research positions maintained by , an internet forum on Human Molecular Genetics.
- - Job postings in biotechnology and biotechnology related companies from the .
- - Job opening in United Kingdom and commonwealth universities advertized through the
- - A most comprehensive listing of current scientific, technological and academic vacancies from the . Mostly positions in the United Kingdom, but includes some European and Australasian listings - definitely worth a visit.
- - Employment positions accessed by State throughout US educational institutions from the
- - Resource of advertized job openings maintained by the Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology Requires a small registration fee (currently offered at a $10 discount), but also provides many other useful services.
- - A listing of positions open for job-seekers with backgrounds in regulatory affairs, compliance, and quality assurance in the pharmaceutical, biotechnology, medical devices, diagnostics, and other related industries.
- - Positions sought and available in the fields of food and drug law. A site maintained by the Food and Drug law Institute, Washington DC, USA.
- - Employment for the health care Community, including biomedical scientists. Also includes a resume posting service.
- - From the Franklin Search Group, a resource that specializes in positions in biotechnology, pharmaceuticals and healthcare.
- - Positions in the life sciences compiled by the .
- - Job openings at the .
- - Positions at , Tennessee, USA.
- - Job openings at , located in Rockville, Maryland, USA.
- - Positions available from the New England Journal of Medicine. Mainly for clinicians, but does contain some postings for Ph.D.'s.
On-line Search Firms and Employment Agencies
- - A placement firm, operating out of South Hampton, New York, that specializes in the Biomedical and Pharmaceutical
- - A pharmaceutical placement service centered around the Asia/Pacific region.
- - Provides science professionals both short and long term assignments within the scientific staffing industry in the US. Positions ranging from laboratory technicians to senior-level scientists.
- - A team of recruiters based in the Bostson US area that place specifically in the Biotech/Pharmaceutical fields.
- - Senior level management consulting and executive search services for US biotechnology and biopharmaceutical firms. Site includes a searchable jobs database.
- - Large search firm with offices throughout US and UK with a division that concentrates on pharmaceutical, biopharmaceutical and biotech companies.
- - a search firm with US nationwide coverage of Biotech and Pharmaceutical Industries, headquartered in San Francisco.
- - A global scientific staffing service (free for job applicants) which places entry level technicians to experienced PhDs in various positions within the biomed/biotech industry.
- - A retained search firm working internationally and dedicated to placing scientists and Ph.D's in entry level and senior level positions. Site includes a listing of available positions.
- - A search firm that includes many good listings for Pharmaceutical companies.
- - Specializes in placing cutting-edge Biotech, Bioinformatics, Biocomputing, and Telecommunications/Network Architects, Engineers and Scientists, as well as Management. Includes a resume service and a listing of available positions.
- A listing of mainly employment agencies at MEDMarket, including , , , and more.
- - An automated job searching service for the Managed Healthcare Industry.
- - Links and also some advice for those seeking the help of a search firm for the health care industry.
- - A placement service providing scientific and technical staffing in scientific, clinical, engineering and technical fields.
- - A Richmond, VA, based employment consulting company with positions listed in pharmaceutical and biotech companies (mainly East Coast USA).
- - An employment consulting service based in San Diego, CA with positions in diverse fields including process/chemical engineering and biotechnology.
- - An executive search firm specializing solely for the Medical
Device, Biotechnology and Pharmaceutical industries. Managed by John A. Gasbarre and operating out of Vinalhaven, Maine, USA. Also contains an impressive set of job-related links.
- - Specializes in placements in pharmaceutical and biotechnology industries. Headed by Dave Jensen (see also Career Guides below).
- - A medical executive search and placement service specializing in biomedical marketing management.
Advertized General Job Openings
- - A relational database that provides direct links to jobs posted by employers on the Web. The search, which is free, can be based on any combination of over 700 location, industry, and job categories.
- - A job-listing service for college students and alumni.
- - A general job search and resume posting service with many other features worth a look at.
- - A Canada-wide Internet job site with free service for all to
use ... it is free to submit jobs, and no membership is necessary.
- - A service enabling job seekers to search by job type, location, salary.
- An internet marketplace for worldwide employment information with information and links for almost every aspect of the job search.
- - A site that includes positions in the sciences and beyond. Includes a resume posting service (html scripts accepted). Requires registration (which is free) to take full advantage of the service - check it out.
- - An on-line job search service for around the US with jobs in categories, including and
- - A resource for general job openings that provides access to many internet meta job directories. Also includes a resume posting service.
- - Major general job directory that offers advice, searches of positions by keyword, state, city, or industry as well as a free resume posting service (merger of the Online Career Center and the Monsterboard).
- - Employment site for the professional with no fee resume posting and job search listings. Much other useful information and features.
- - World wide database of seasonal and part-time job opportunities, mainly for students and educational professionals. Employers may post for free.
- - A job posting service for US college/university students and graduates. Requires password access, but also includes other employment-related information and links.
- - A job-related directory with general information, advertized positions available and a resume posting service.
- - Positions in Canada (includes positions in biotechnology and the pharmaceutical industry).
Other Pages with Links
- - A comprehensive listing of links to job announcements from nearly 1500 colleges and universities - probably the most well put together and maintained set of links of its kind.
- - A well organized and probably the site with the most extensive set of links to general employment information on the Web. Also a good site for the biomedical scientist to visit.
- - Probably the most comprehensive site for links related to science policy on the Web. If this is your interest, this site will probably have a link to any site that counts on these issues.
- - A list of useful links for those who are looking for jobs in the healthcare industry (managed care, hospitals, healthcare systems, physician groups, etc.).
- - a collection of Internet resources for the academic job hunter, including links to faculty, staff, and administrative announcements.
- - More links to academic employment pages, but many are outdated.
- - A comprehensive set of links for the virologist and other scientists from Tulane.
- - A list of links to science employment sites directed to undergraduate and post-graduate science students from David Shivak.
- - A set of employment links specifically for MS and Ph.D. Statisticians.
- - An employment guide and list of links for Chemists.
- - A set of links from Harvard.
- Bay Area Jobs - Highly comprehensive set of links to employment opportunities in the San Francisco Bay area from Allan Cory. Includes local biotech companies.
- - A list of links for online job searches.
- - A listing put together from the University of Michigan.
- - A list of Job-related links arranged by category including positions in academia.
- - Employment Links from Rice University - Gopher site.
- - A broad listing of links with some related to positions for biomedical scientists.
- - Links to world wide employment listings and a fee-for-resume service.
Electronic Resume Posting
- - A site for biochemists that offers a resume posting service, an employment forum and much more.
- - A resume posting service for colleges graduates and students run by students for entry level positions all over the US. One of the largest databases of fresh US college resumes around
- - The sister newsgroup to Bionet Employment. Maintained by for posting position wanted notices in the biological sciences.
- - A free resume posting service from .
- - Provides free posting of resumes (including HTML scripts), job search and links to other documents.
- - The resume posting service at
- - Career advice center from the National Academy of Sciences, but also contains a resume posting service for beginning scientists and engineers.
- - A search firm that offers a resume posting service - Specializes in biotechnology and Biomedical Positions.
- - General employment for the Healthcare industry that includes a resume posting service.
- - A resume posting service from Career Mosaic.
- - A site for submitting resumes and searching a job listing.
- - Another general resume posting newsgroup.
Re-education, Career Alternatives and Transitions
- - A 12 month MBA program for scientists and Engineers offered by .
- - An article by Robert Finn on how MBA programs can expand career prospects for cross-trained scientists. Published in The Scientist.
- - A 1 year Master's degree from Northwestern University which links science and business training into one discipline so that graduates understand the business side of biotechnology.
- - A non-profit program designed to help Ph.D.s considering a major career transition. Set up to cope with the current oversupply of Ph.D's in the United States.
- - A set of useful links geared largely to sites offering alternative careers for scientists - perhaps the only way to go these days?
- - A resource from Yale for students and fellows interested in pursuing careers that differ from traditional routes of academic or industrial research.
- - A free Pharma/Biotech career research tool that offers a searchable database featuring the complete job listings of nearly 500 companies within the Biotechnology (both Human and Agricultural), Pharmaceutical,
Medical Device and Instrumentation industries.
- - a Career Center from BIO (The Biotechnology Industry Organization) offering free job searching and a free resume posting service. Other resources include a discussion board, web site pointers to career resources, books, a salary survey and a contact area for HR professionals.
- - A useful list of links to biotechnology resources on the internet.
- - Site for information and services related to biotechnology and pharmaceutical research. Includes a
- - Information on biotechnology, including a searchable archive and a page for posting late breaking news about biotech companies.
- - A comprehensive listing of biotechnology, pharmaceutical, and publishing companies maintained by . A useful resource for providing WWW and e-mail addresses of biotech companies.
- - Information and services related to biotechnology on the WWW.
- - Information about careers in biotechnology.
- - A virtual industrial park exclusively serving the healthcare manufacturing industry.
On-line Essays, Information and Advice
- - A tell-it-like-it-is commentary by Arthur E. Sowers concerning current career issues confronting scientists. Must reading for todays science graduates and post-docs. Also available at .
- - An essay and lesson in survival in Science by Graeme Eisenhofer.
- - A site to help scientists prepare for the changing demands of today's market, to facilitate
the hiring of new Ph.D.s, and to provide a voice to early career scientists.
- The process and pitfalls of landing an academic job from Jonathan A. Dantzig - sound advice from an experienced academic.
- - At the University of California San Francisco this Association provides plenty of useful advice and information for post doctoral fellows.
- - A site for postgraduates in the United Kingdom, offering advice and information about jobs, employers and post graduate courses.
- - A site maintained by Eric Weinstein at MIT with discussion and well compiled links concerning the current depression in the scientific labor market. A must see site.
- - The dirt on how NIH grants get funded. Another commentary from Arthur E. Sowers published in The Scientist.
- - An essay by David Goodstein relating the future end of the exponential expansion of the universe to the present state of science.
- - A must see site from of general interest to anyone with concerns about careers and society at any level.
- - An essay from Elie A. Shneour on the shrinking support of science and scientists and the negative impact this may have on science and society.
- - An essay by T.M. Georges relating the end of the "science gravy train" to the "cargo-cult" parable.
- - Another editorial from Daniel S. Greenberg about the shrinking job market for Ph.D.'s.
- - A list of points about "why overproduction of Ph.D.'s (if that's really the cause of the problem?) is bad for science" by Eugene Lerman.
- - Current news on career opportunities for chemists and chemical engineers from the American Cemical Society.
- - A resource with stacks of career related information for graduates, but also useful for others.
- - A site with information and links to many career-related resources for scientists from the University of California at San Francisco.
- - Advice for grad students based on a workshop by Beth Fischer and Michael Zigmond.
- - From the National Academy of Sciences. Designed chiefly for beginning scientists and engineers or those contemplating a career in these fields. Also contains some interesting information for established scientists.
- - A comprehensive and extensive series of articles by David Jensen of Search Masters International written to offer advice for the Scientist looking for a position in biotech, pharmaceutical and medical device industries.
- - Advice from Jobtrak.
- - Advice should a job offer ever materialize. An article by Karl W. Lanks published in the Scientist.
- - Enter the Institution or State and out come the average salaries.
- A site where you can order the book "To Boldly Go: A Career Guide for Scientists" by Peter Fiske.
Interactive Sites for the Scientist
- - A career discussion forum geared around biotech, pharmaceutical and medical device industries. Moderated by Dave Jensen of Search Masters International.
- - A general news group for discussions about careers in the Sciences.
- - A news group for discussion about careers in the Sciences for Postdocs.
- - A news group that includes discussions about issues affecting scientists and their careers.
- - an electronic activist and discussion group of scientists concerned with current career options for Ph.D.s.
- - An electronic forum devoted to current day concerns of scientists and engineers including securing employment, grants, professional societies, government science policy, employment trends and many other issues.
- - An interactive forum from Science concerning careers for todays Scientist.
- - non-profit corporation working to ensure continued support and funding for Canadian biomedical and health research.
- - A report put together by French Ph.D.s with emphasis on the current Ph.D. job crisis in France.
Sci. Job Listings | Search Firms | General Job Listings | Other Pages with Links | On-line Resume Posting | Re-education/Career Transitions | Biotech/Healthcare Resources | On-line Science Career Advice | Interactive Sites
Compiled and maintained by Graeme Eisenhofer, E-mail:
This page has been accessed 305805 times since January 8, 1996. Last update to this page - July 7, 1999.
Please let know if there's some link I should add or if there is an expired link in need of fixing.
A mirror site to this set of links is available at courtesy of Graham Dellaire. Further sites in Australasia and Europe welcome.